Wednesday, December 21, 2016

My Life as an Education Major

Hello there, my name is Emma Vaccaro, or as my fourth graders know me, Ms. Vaccaro. As you've probably guessed, I’m an education major - but I also study science, technology, engineering and math (STEM). As an education student at Hofstra, I have the privilege of observing and teaching a local fourth grade class three days a week. I love being in the classroom, gaining experience and making connections. 

Studying STEM has encouraged me to approach many of my teaching lessons from a slightly different perspective. The most recent lesson I’ve planned will cover climate change and its effect on temperature and our world today. For this lesson, I have been working in tandem with my science methods course teacher and the elementary school’s science lab teacher. As mentors, they have been extremely helpful to me.

The elementary school’s science lab teacher has generously offered his lab and thermometers to help the class learn. In the lab, my students will display their understanding of climate change by recreating the greenhouse effect on a smaller scale. In addition, they will be reinforcing their knowledge of reading a thermometer.

I am incredibly excited for all of my opportunities and to be gaining such incredible teaching experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment