Monday, October 12, 2015

Pride Guide Internship Spotlight

As a double major in Journalism and Creative Writing, I'm constantly looking for creative and fun ways to write about the world around me. This semester, I'm really getting to do that! I'm currently interning at Adventure Publishing, a company that oversees multiple toy magazines and websites. I get to write reviews of the newest toys and games, write news about the toy industry, and most importantly, play.

On one of my first days, Bloomberg News came in for an exclusive photoshoot of the toys that The Toy Insider, our main publication, had just named as the hottest toys for the holidays. I walked into the office (which is in New York City -- what's better than that?) and was immediately swept up in the excitement of the day. I built a giant model of a flower and baked Easy Bake Oven Girl Scout Cookies for the photo shoot. It was so much fun, and now I know that I can make my own Girl Scout Cookies! 

I'm also learning a lot about an industry I previously knew nothing about. I now know about things like licensing, toy shows, and industry trends. I can tell you the toys that parents in toy stores all over the country will be scrambling for over the next few months. Needless to say, all of my friends should be expecting toys for Christmas this year. 

Interning gives me the opportunity to totally step outside of my comfort zone and try new things. It's the best way to find out what I like and what I'm good at before I enter "the real world" in a few months. I never would have thought I'd intern at a toy magazine, but so far I am really loving it.

No comments: