Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Meet this summer's Pride Guides: Cristina Vintimilla

Name: Cristina Vintimilla
Hometown: Commack, New York
Major: Journalism
Minors: Business and Design, Spanish & Global Studies

1. Why did you decide on Hofstra?
I always knew about Hofstra University since I lived on Long Island. But, what really caught my attention was their communication school. I'm a Journalism major so I was looking for a school that had the best technology/facilities and would allow me to use them starting freshman year. Hofstra is just that! Also, New York City is only a 30 minute train ride from campus so I knew I would have the opportunity to intern during the school year, not just the summer.

2. What's something most people don't know about Hofstra?
Hofstra's campus is a nationally accredited arboretum. There are more than 12,000 plants and trees right on campus representing more than 625 species and varieties. This means as you walk from class to class you'll spot trees from all over the world like China, Chile, and Japan. It definitely makes walking to class 10x more interesting. Fun fact: the original William Hofstra was a lumberman and made his living by collecting trees. We're keeping that tradition alive!

3. What tip would you give to students visiting campus?
I would say to definitely get to know your admission counselor. Here at Hofstra, you are assigned a counselor depending on where you live. You can ask a Pride Guide for their business card while you're on campus or on our website. This should be your go-to person for any questions that come up after you leave campus.

No comments: