Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Counselor Chat: Grace Tobin

Admission Counselor Grace Tobin shares her thoughts on the college search process and her favorite travel moments.

What sets Hofstra apart from other universities?

G: Hofstra has everything that any college student could ever want or need. With a variety of majors and over 200 student organizationsthere’s literally something for everyone! And the fact that we are right next door to New York City is a huge plus, as well. Not only can you experience all that Long Island has to offer, but you have 24/7 access to the greatest city (at least in my opinion) in the world. Our small class sizes and incredible faculty allow students to experience that personal feel in the classroom and not feel like just another face in the crowd. Here at Hofstra we make it a point to get to know you- and we are happy to have you!

Can you share a special travel or college fair moment?

G: Fall 2015 was my first time traveling and recruiting students - I had no idea that I would form such incredible bonds with my New Jersey students. I truly enjoyed meeting each and every one of them and keeping in touch afterwards. There was one student in particular who I had been corresponding with since September, and getting to finally meet her on the road at a college fair was so exciting. The next time I saw her when I visited her high school, she ran up to me and gave me a huge hug, which made me feel awesome! She has since been accepted and will hopefully be joining the Hofstra Pride in the fall. 

What are your tips for students beginning the college search process?

G: Go into this experience with an open mind. The school you never even heard of or envisioned yourself at might end up being the best place for you! I would suggest narrowing down the colleges into which state(s) you are most comfortable in, and then ask yourself which of those colleges have the major you want. From there- start visiting! You will never know if you feel at home on a campus until you visit, so definitely make it a point to do so. 

See original post here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment